Tuesday, November 12, 2013

We're headed to our 6th Kentucky Derby

 

Today we (my husband and I) scored tickets to the 140th running of the Kentucky Derby to be held May 3, 2014. This will be our 6th trip to the Kentucky Derby.
Average people CAN get tickets to the Derby. Churchill Downs starts accepting requests for tickets the day after the Derby and you have until October 31 to get your request in. All you have to do is enter your email address. You don't have to enter a credit card number or promise your firstborn child or anything nutso, just enter your email address. Then in November you'll get a link to the site where you can buy tickets. This morning I had two laptops fired up, my credit card out, a movie on for my three year old, and a sandwich premade on the bottom shelf of the fridge in case he got hungry.  I also had my husband on the phone at work because he was trying to get tickets too. We both got right into the system- I was offered section 222, row F and he was offered section 223, row A. We went with section 223, row A. Even though section 222 would be closer to the finish line, we went with section 223 so we could be in the front row.
We had great luck this year, I will admit that. There was one year I was stuck in the dreaded "virtual waiting room" for an hour and had to settle for seats in section 128. But, hey, seeing the Derby from section 128 is a helluva lot better than watching it from my couch!

No comments:

Post a Comment