Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Robert B Lewis Stakes

The Robert B Lewis Stakes was run at Santa Anita on Saturday. My picks were:
1- Candy Boy, based on jockey, trainer,  and his record at the race distance of 1 1/16. He'd run it twice and came in second and first.
3- Midnight Hawk based on jockey (I have a thing for Mike Smith, if you haven't figured that out yet!), trainer, his record (he was 2 for 2) and his workouts.
5- Cool Samurai based on his pedigree notes (dad was a Grade 1 winner at routes and his mom was sired from a Breeder's Cup Juvenile winner) and because Cool Samurai is a cool name.

I noticed 7- Chitu was a favorite but I didn't know why. This is where my novice-ness stands out. He was 2 for 2 but those wins were in races that were only 6 furlongs. Also the notes on his pedigree said his dad was a sprinter, his mom won once on grass, and a half sister was a sprinter. But he's also a Bob Baffert horse and Baffert is no dummy so if Baffert thinks a horse is ready to go from 6 furlongs to 1 1/16 miles, I should probably sit up and pay attention.

The results were 1/7/3/2 and my imaginary exactas were 3/5, 1/3 and 1/5. So, sadly as usual, I came close but I wouldn't have made any money. I hope my luck changes in Louisville! I was impressed by Candy Boy's race- that was a Derby worthy performance. I wish Midnight Hawk had done better but I'm sure I'll be rooting for Mike Smith on May 3rd, even if it's on a different horse.

How could you NOT root for that smile?

No comments:

Post a Comment